The objective of this programme, which will form part of a dedicated track session on Finance and Investment on 18 October 2018, is to help raise awareness of investment opportunities in industrial biotech solutions whilst facilitating entrepreneurialism and creating a supportive environment for SMEs to help their business grow and innovate.
It will provide an opportunity for start ups to deliver an ‘elevator pitch’ for their most promising products and processes to a panel of influential VCs in this space and to receive constructive feedback on how to maximise potential for investment.
Pitches should be truly innovative, close to market, unique and ambitious, compared to what is already available. They should concern the development of bio-based products or processes which respond to current consumer, environmental or societal demands or which have new functionalities, compared to fossil based equivalents.
The business should be:
- A start-up or a Small Medium Size Enterprise (SME) according to European Commission definition.
- Committed to the development of a circular bioeconomy agenda and/or delivering on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Representing genuinely innovative technology or applications and currently seeking feedback on/investment for this.
- Willing and available to participate in and present at the EFIB PitchFest session, should they be selected, on 17 or 18 October in Toulouse.
- Title of presentation
- Summary of presentation (max. 500 words)
- Outline of how the innovative technology/application would help enable the bioeconomy and/or delivering on the UN SDGs in Europe
- Development phase of the company
- Name, job title and short biography of your speaker
- Description of main company activities
- The reasons why you would like to take part in the EFIB PitchFest
- Company website
- Contact details of speaker or other relevant person within the company
Each selected pitcher will be provided with a complimentary ticket to attend the full EFIB conference, with access to plenary sessions, innovation tracks, networking opportunities and more, on a VIP pass.
Format of the PitchFest
- The PitchFest will take place as part of the Finance and Investment session on 17 or 18 October at the Centre de Congres Pierre Baudis.
- No more than 6 pitches will be selected
- The pitches must be maximum 5 minutes each
- There will be Q&A from the audience after each presentation followed by feedback from the investor judges
- One pitcher will be named as ‘best pitch’ which will be voted for by those attending the session via a poll on the EFIB event app
- The PitchFest winner will be featured in EuropaBio’s newsletter and will have their achievements publicised via social media and by supporting partners.
All applications must be submitted by 22 June 2018.
These will then be considered by the EFIB committee and you will be informed by early July if you have been selected.
 EC definition of SME can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/business-friendly-environment/sme-definition/index_en.htm
 EC definition of the bioeconomy can be found at https://ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/index.cfm